Pages

The end of VIBE





I guess in some ways I'm part of the problem. I haven't bought Vibe magazine for years now. Sadly it will be no more. I have enjoyed the covers over the years. Even the years I didn't buy the mag. I remember great articles and even better photography. I want nothing else to die this month! This is the most dying ass month ever! Good bye June 2009!

*UPDATE*
Statements from Vibe's editor, and a staff memo from the CEO. From editor Danyel Smith:

On behalf the VIBE CONTENT staff (the best in this business), it is with great sadness, and with heads held high, that we leave the building today. We were assigning and editing a Michael Jackson tribute issue when we got the news. It's a tragic week in overall, but as the doors of VIBE Media Group close, on the eve of the magazine's sixteenth anniversary, it's a sad day for music, for hip hop in particular, and for the millions of readers and users who have loved and who continue to love the VIBE brand. We thank you, we have served you with joy, pride and excellence, and we will miss you.

Danyel Smith
the former Chief Content Officer VIBE Media Group
& Editor in Chief, VIBE


**UPDATE**
Quincy Jones announces plans to buy it back

By Adrienne Samuels Gibbs
EbonyJet.com
(June 30, 2009) Vibe magazine founder Quincy Jones is distraught over the news that the famous hip-hop publication shuttered its doors today. Though no longer the owner, he did not anticipate this sudden demise, and he says he's going to bring it back to life � albeit in a slightly different way.
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

5 comments:

Mr. Clyde said...

I know this is sort of irrelevent to the death of Vibe magazine but I use to work in the same building as them and they had a really nice couch in their waiting room that I got a chance to sit on a few times..... More than the magazine I'll miss that couch.

Craig said...

LOL, I bet you could walk up there and get that couch for real cheap today. While your up there see if they have any nice end tables.

Amberella. said...

This is a joke right? VIBE magazine can't be going out of business! I've been buying every single issue since the Aaliyah memorial issue came out back when I was in 7th grade. AND I heard they were bringing back Vibe Vixen which I was super happy about!

Craig said...

Ambs, muh virgo sister! It's so so sad and even more true. Dude hold on to that collection of yours and repeat after me slowly, "Ins-tant col-lector's i-tem." M.K. if you run outta storage call ya boy.

Anonymous said...

don't hold your breath, folks. a visit to ebay shows issues aren't worth much unless they've been autographed by someone special. ain't much interest in back issues of a magazine that was dumped for lack of interest.

btw, anyone interested in the full run of honey and about 10 years' worth of trace? also have pride (uk women's mag).