Pages

E-Trade: Babies


These spots always make me laugh for some reason. A-cute infant-itis (har har) I guess. I was a little bothered with the baby referring to the adult African American woman as "babe" at the onset of the spot, but perhaps I'm overly sensitive or underly sexism averse. But what really gets me is the white male always in control of every iota of the happenings in this commercial. White male dominance and obsessive control seeps out of every second of video. The brilliant Mellody Hobson is the president of Ariel Investments, LLC, a Chicago investment firm managing over $3 billion in assets. She is also the Chairwoman of the Board of Trustees of Ariel Mutual Funds. Hobson is a regular contributor on financial issues to ABC's Good Morning America. Maybe the Art Director wanted to illustrate the toddler's knowledge and de facto ease of use of E-Trade. But I think we got that point along time ago. I could go on but, perhaps I doth protest too much.



cred:
Grey NY https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

No comments: