Pages

And now a random comment from Mookie n 'Nem


Mookie N 'Nem say...
Tom Burrell talking about Brainwashed is like the pot calling the kettle black. Tom's agency executed much of the brainwashing from the moment he opened his agency's doors. His agency produced ads for women's perm products. Essentially promoting the idea that Black women weren't beautiful unless their hair was straight. His agency's car ads always promoted the idea that Black people didn't care about a car's performance, only how the car looked. It could have been a bucket of bolts inside, but as long as the car was styling...everything was cool for a nigga! And talk about being hypocritical. Burrell used to pump liquid crack, Schlitz Malt Liquor, into the Black community via the Bull...shit. At one time, damn near every single radio spot included black folks singing some jingle. That was as far as the idea of a real idea went.

Hell, Burrell's agency tried to teach its people as little as possible. Many of them left the agency literally without knowing what an advertising concept was.

Now, today, Tom's out of the picture. He has retired. Fresh blood has changed things up a bit and the work is much better. But back in Tom's day, you'd have to be brainwashed to think that Burrell Communications wasn't a partner in crime in the brainwashing of African-Americans.


DISCLAIMER:
Craig n 'nem say...
This is an actual comment and not from me, Craig. Because I sell the hell out of some perms... um, relaxers as we must call them. All the while searching for ways to improve the products and cautiously avoiding self esteem issues. Also I've sold the hell out of some car advertising at JWT Atlanta. And I ain't mad at Burrell.

https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch. anyone who has really worked at burrell knows mookie is going a bit overboard. burrell was launched in the hopes of bringing a new balance to the portrayal of black culture in advertising and media. the accomplishments exceed the failures. can the place do better? sure. and that statement applies to 99.9% of the agencies in the industry, regardless of the discipline, cultural focus, etc. burrell promoted relaxers that ultimately tap into societal beauty standards. ditto every white agency with a health and beauty account. burrell promoted malt liquor. what’s the difference between that and any white agency pushing beer (isn’t it ironic that colt 45 is handled by a white shop today…)? burrell pushed cars by hyping style. what white agency isn’t doing similar for their luxury car brands? mookie actually demonstrates his/her lack of credibility by saying the current burrell regime “has changed things up a bit and the work is much better.” no, the work is not much better. it still needs to go way beyond its current state.

Craig said...

Anon, I feel ya. I was actually scared to publish this but felt it was a point of view unlike my own but worthy of publishing. Shops like Burrell are a major inspiration to me. But I do understand the criticism.

Anonymous said...

Dear, Dear Mookie,

I recently recieved my pre-ordered copy of Mr. Burrell's book, and having actually read it, feel well prepared to put your comment in its place:

Mr. Burrell makes a point throughout his book that EVERYONE has been a victim of the black inferiority brainwash, yes, even including the author himself. He even admits that, as a member of the "media" that he is culpable. That being said, I challenge anyone to point to a firm (or individual) that has done more to shine a positive light on the image of African Americans in the field of advertising.

In this book, Burrell talks about Disunity being one of the main factors that keeps us from reaching our potential: Blacks hatin' on other blacks.
Mookie needs to check him/herself...and then go read the book.

Craig said...

Anon,
Great comment! Would you like to write a post anonymous or otherwise on the "Brainwashed" book?
It would be nice to hear a fuller perspective.

Anonymous said...

Great blog you got here. I'd like to read a bit more about that topic. Thanks for posting that data.

Lowell said...

Lowell "RaceMan" Thompson here.

I actually worked on this book with Tom. And I actually worked for Tom for exactly one year from Jan. 1, 1979 to Jan.1, 1980.

That's said, although I agree with some of the criticism here of Burrell, I also agree with the compliments. As with most things in the real world, it's a mix of the good, the bad, and the....well you get my drift.

Anyway, speaking of "Brainwashed" the book, it's probably the most important book written in this country in at least...er...uh...the last 500 years. Anybody who hasn't read it has a humonguous hole in h/is/er head (I mean education).

Now, you may think I'm a little biased, but if you know anything about me and my background and work, you know I know.

Stay tuned. I may have a lot more to say later...if you treat me real nice....and buy "Brainwashed".

Meantime, check out my "Buy The Cover" blog here on eblogger. It's killin' them all over the world.

http://buythecover.com