Pages

Precious Plagiarism?


As Saphire's cum Lee Daniel's cum Tyler Perry's cum Oprah Winfrey's Precious movie climbs the box office charts more info comes to light about the origins about that most precious of poster designs. We all know that nothing is born in a vacuum, unless that vacuum happens to suck up a old quasi-famous designer's somewhat famous poster design and spits out a nearly concrete carbon copy. The above right image is from Lanny Sommese. This is his 1987 Rape Line poster. I guess inspiration is where you find and for most designer it's really about where you hide it. Because this is far from an occasional occurrence.

I found these images @ B. Caruthers' flickr page.

But the Tyler Perry marketing machine has a history of this.



(This image was plagiarized from monkeyartawards)
I'm one to talk; I once copied one of my own designs and sold it to a client who did the original version of it years prior. Take that T.P. https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Interesting...I have to admit that part of me snickers looking at Medea and Dustin Hoffman side by side, it feels like parody, but this isn't what they're selling is it? Part of me also feels disappointed, though not surprised :/ Is anyone speaking up?

Craig said...

Jennifer, I think the practice is so commonplace no one has too much of a problem with it. Every now and again someone will get their pants sued off.

DJ Diva The Mixtress said...

Wow...I'm glad you posted this cause I would have never known. I don't like TP anyway...

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What ever happened to originality? I admit, I've "referenced" design in my past for ideas and inspiration, but nothing that blatant. I'm very disappointed.

Riv