Pages

Raggaefest: Canada



Kindly sharing guest says:
At first I thought it was a good idea, in trying to encourage other people to visit the festival but then I though why are they perfectly anglo-saxons? Why would they not feature people of various ethnicities with locks? Each poster has either a white man or a white woman on it. The imagae attached are the two posters combined.

As a young black female who works in marketing as graphic designer in Calgary, Alberta Canada I am a minority. Sometimes ads bother me but I don't know if I am being too sensitive or if there is a sublte message there?

Craig'nem say:
I really don't have that much of a problem with it. I think they know who their primary target is and are shooting for it. Could it be more diverse? Yes. "Perfectly anglo-saxon," lol, true, true. Should it better reflect the width and breadth of the Reggae audience in Canada? Hells Yeah Mon.

Are dem try to dun us? No Mon!


Thank you Anonymous, friend for life submitter!
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm more on the side of thinking this ad is problematic. Isn't there a subtle message saying there's a little blackness in all of us (white people who are the directed audience)? Also, the means of appropriation - oh the politics of hair?!!?!!?

Anonymous said...

I love the way they're gazing heroically into the distance. They look like the kind of white person who will earnestly tell you that they're black in their soul, or in a past life, or something.