Pages

'Precious' Movie Teaser Poster


Once again a movie teaser poster associated with a Tyler Perry associated film makes me smile. There is a lot of great thinking going on the design of these posters. But actually when I think about it and really break down the imagery it's powerfully moving. The over all visage of the young woman is cracked, damaged and torn. As if it were made of something hard but brittle and almost perfectly & purposely shattered to satisfy some other hurt. Note the figure ground reversal that the crack emanates from, it forms a hand as if to say someone's touch was the epicenter of all this damage. It's so simple and so profound all at once. The poster makes such a massive statement about so many lives in Black America and as well as the entire world. Deep... now I done gone and made tears fall in my keyboard.


The Director Lee Daniels, cast and crew rip it. See the keyboard damaging movie trailer here.




The poster looks to be very much inspired by this Saul Bass classic design for the 'Anatomy of a Murder,' the Otto Preminger film. Which also in turn inspired the Spike Lee movie 'Clockers' poster? For which the famed designer threatened to sue.

https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

His teaser posters are ALWAYS hawt...

3L said...

I knew nothing about it until Oprah and now I'm sold. I feel like should read the book first.

I like that poster.

Patricia said...

Thanks for bringing my attention to what looks like an emotional powerhouse of a film!

Pat
http://womanofcolour.blogspot.com

Mr. Clyde said...

glad you liked this poster!

Craig said...

RC, did you have something to do with putting this together??? Let us know!!!

Ego Trippin said...

Patricia Grannum: I'd be reeeeeeal careful about judging a film by its poster, especially one that comes from Tyler Perry. Let's just say, critically speaking, the consistently wonderful posters (worthy of a gallery retrospective) have never lived up to the films, and I don't expect that trend to reverse with his latest effort.

But I do hope I am wrong, this time around.

Anonymous said...

this poster is a sham. it is a direct copy of lanny sommese's 1987 rape line poster. google it. no credit is given to the REAL designer.