Pages

Madea Goes To Jail: Movie Poster(s) (Update)

"Madea Goes to Jail" Locks Up Top Spot at Box Office

Tyler Perry's "Madea Goes to Jail" led the box office with a $41.1 million opening weekend ($20.236 per screen average), making it the biggest opening weekend ever for both Perry and the film's studio, Lionsgate. "Madea's Family Reunion" was Perry's biggest opening three years ago when it bowed to $30 million and a $13,688 average. "Madea Goes to Jall" has already grossed more than the $37.1 million "The Family That Preys" grossed in its entire run. The previous Lionsgate high was "Saw III" which opened to the tune of $33.6 million in 2006.

Made for less than $20 million, cheap by Hollywood standards, "Madea Goes to Jail" drew a younger, more diverse crowd than Perry typically draws. According to Steve Rothenberg, the studio's domestic distribution president, 35% of ticketbuyers were under 25, up from 18% for his last movie, The Family That Preys; 13% were Hispanic, up from 5%. The core audience remained African-American women.

Perry's seven films have combined to gross $300 million to date at the domestic box office.

Talked through the entire movie & got this story from Black Talent News.


Tyler Perry always does a lighter more ephemeral early version of his movie posters. This seems to be an increasing trend across the movie industry. This precursor to the "Jail" flick follows suite in that trend. It's captivating if not terribly misleading but, perhaps the whole point is just to get your curiosity piqued. It does just that. Below is where the mad-capped hilarity begins and for the movie going audience sake I hope it doesn't end there.



https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

6 comments:

Ego Trippin said...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon your point of view), the Tyler Perry posters are the best thing about his films as you, yourself, implied in a previous post, Craig.

When I first laid eyes on the Diary of A Mad Black Woman poster, I emailed a shed load of people, thinking this was going to be one of the most innovative films of the year based on the poster and the brazen movie title.

How wrong I was!

By the way, poster designer creds on your blog, please.

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig,

I think this could be a mixbag on the movie front...

The first poster was very classy and I was feeling it...it used "Trajan Pro" aka the Movie Poster Font ( Find one movie in the past 10 years that hasn't used it) and was subtle, understated but powerful...Like all of his other posters but when Tyler did the "Flip Wilson" and went with the mugshot poster it made me think...

First...Wow I really might want to check this out. Then my stomach dropped like I ate my 3rd Varsity hot dog (Anyone who has been to ATL knows what I mean)...I kinda still want to see the film because even though Tyler's films are predictable and they may even have weird twists and turns you still have to support the local industry...Atlanta is not Hollywood nor is it New York City but in order for "The A" to make a name for itself...some civic pride is in order...

What I find funny is the placement of the movie posters around town...why are the mugshot posters heavy in the pre-gentrification neighborhoods but not outside the perimeter of those areas...Hmmmm?

P.S. Ego Trippin' I think they did those posters in-house...aka Tyler Perry Studios near Greenbriar Mall in Southwest Atlanta

Wardlaw said...

Whut C.Money? Gimme some, I'm broke.
Anyway to chime in on the movie poster post. That 1st poster was of course one that I could see being a very dramatic movie. But Mr. Tyler Perry had to stay true to his funny & do the Flip Wilson spin on it. I'm not a fan of his movies, however, if it comes across my desk I will watch if I've seen all the other summer action movies 1st. Kwesi Amuti, the mugshot posters are up outside the perimeter. I'm in the burbs I-75 North Cobb & 575 Woodstock & I saw the billboard/movie poster on Bells Ferry.

Anonymous said...

Yo Levalentino,

I saw that poster too...I live in West Cobb near Paulding/Douglas county and I saw them as well at a few bus stops and billboards...so there is no deliberate marketing ploy here...my bad...I was so ready with that race card..just kidding!

Craig said...

We can hate on his movies and love on his posters all we want... TP gets the job done! I hear doors creaking open at movie studios all over Hollywood.

Get ready for my new hit movie "Craigea Goes To Hell! " Starring my over-grown black a*s in the biggest wig in can find!!!

shaun. said...

that first poster is terribly misleading. as pretty as it is....and it is pretty, it has nothing to do with the movie....especialy now that i have seen scenes straight from the movie.

i was watching the commercial with my girl and she pointed out that TP does that Madea impersonation a bit too well now-a-days. We concluded that we are both waiting for him to pull a full out Rue Paul on us and shock the black nation to its core.

but until then...his movies suck. And unless my mother (the exact TA the movies is made for) is dragging me to it, bribing me with free $10 nachos...I wouldnt be caught dead watching this movie.