Pages

Director Allen Hughes Signs With Believe Media

Director Allen Hughes - best known for his feature film work as one of the multi-talented Hughes Bros - has joined the ever-growing roster of strong commercial directors at bicoastal and International Believe Media.

In signing with Believe, Hughes says he “felt the passion and enthusiasm of everyone there”. “They understand what I want to do in directing – that I want to do work reflective of who I am as a filmmaker. At the end of the day, any production is about the energy of the people in your crew and the common goals you share, and I found those qualities at Believe.”

On the big screen Hughes and his twin brother Albert most recently directed Denzel Washington in the post-apocalyptic “The Book of Eli.” Earlier the duo directed Johnny Depp in the Jack The Ripper-inspired “From Hell” the documentary feature “American Pimp” and the Vietnam War-era drama, “Dead Presidents.”

The Hughes Bros.’ first motion picture, “Menace II Society,” premiered at Cannes when the twins were just 20 years old a decade where as teenagers, the boys made short films and directed music videos including for Tone Loc and Tupac Shakur. After pursuing extremely successful feature film careers as co-directors, producers and screenwriters, the brothers began working separately about 2 years ago.

Hughes’ previous spot work included high-profile credits included spots for Gatorade with Usain Bolt; Reebok’s “I Am What I Am” campaign which featured skateboarder Stevie Williams as well as music artists such as Jay-Z and 50 Cent, actor Luch Liu and more. Hughes’ also helmed other high profile campaigns including Nike with Lebron James; and Best Buy with the Black Eyed Peas.

2010 saw Allen Hughes directing the hugely successful and compelling VFX-intensive Dr. Dre music video, “I Need a Doctor,” featuring Eminem and Skylar Grey. “I loved the experience; it was me getting back to expressing myself as a single director,” he says.

“What was really interesting was the intimacy and the epic ness (he got to total a Ferrari during the shoot) of the video at the same time.

With the small Canon 5D and 7D cameras we used there’s an intimacy to shooting big-name, legendary figures. I thrive on that kind of mixture of the intimate and the grand.”

At Believe, Hughes hopes to direct “more narrative-driven spots that are more in sync with my DNA as a filmmaker,” he says. “I love sports, so it was easy for me to bag spots in the basketball world and football world – I even directed one with a racing dolphin! I’ve worked with phenomenal athletes and creative teams, but I would like to do more filmic spots, spots that touch people, tell a little story and make viewers say, ‘Whoa! That was interesting!’”

He cites the long-running “Most Interesting Man in the World” campaign for Dos Equis beer as “some of the best advertising in the last five years. That’s interesting filmmaking – there’s a mythology there, a narrative, a great character. Spots like that only come along every so often, but those are the kind of filmic commercials I’d like to do.” “Also, looking back the spots I’m happiest with are those where we started early as a team and developed a rhythm. I’m very collaborative and like to roll up my sleeves early on,” he says.

Hughes notes that there’s been a misconception in the industry for many years about how he and his brother divvied up feature directing duties. “People talked about how we worked on set instead of how we worked holistically,” he says. “I was known as the extrovert who worked with the actors, and Albert was the introvert who worked with the DP. But everything we did was a partnership. We only worked the way we did on set for efficiency and speed and because of our particular personality traits.”

Now, and after two decades of shooting short films, features, documentaries, music videos and commercials as part of a team or on his own, Hughes says, “nothing is daunting” to him. “There’s pretty much nothing I haven’t dealt with, and if I do encounter something new - that’s exciting! I’ll take on any challenge.”

Talking of which - Hughes’s next challenge on the big screen is “Broken City,” starring Mark Wahlberg, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Russell Crowe which is currently slated for release in the winter of 2012.
For more on Believe Media, please go to:
ALL media contact Kevin Fetterplace at Mojo Working
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

No comments: