Pages

Oprah owns! (a new logo type thingy)

She owns a new network logo and damn near everything else she may want. But this logo feels like a bliz-aster from the piz-ast. I don't like it. The 'O' looks like Good Morning America, the 'W' looks like plastic celery and the 'N' looks like Barney. I think Oprah's brand is bigger and friendlier that this logo suggest. I assume they were making it look stately & corporate with flashy colors. But I miss the warmth associated with Mama Oprah. Networks like 'WE' and TBS introduce a little fun or verve into the brand mix. This feels like I'm seriously not fun, but I dress fruity. Three-D colorful rainbow-esque type? It certainly misses the Oprah vigor.


Do you like it?




// https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

3 comments:

Ena said...

Nah I don't really like it either. Not that it's horrible just underwhelming. I would have thought it'd have a script type or something to showcase the personal connection that I thought Oprah was big on...

Lee said...

Maybe it will be animated? Then we'll love it!

For now though, I'm with you. It's not working on several levels—not the least of which is what it says literally: "Own". Is she not so subtly letting me know she owns the network? Or, maybe (like you said) that she can own just about anything she wants? There's also a pop culture meaning to "OWN" that I don't think she really wants to be associated with...

I'm also wondering why she isn't taking advantage of the equity she's already established with the treatment of the "O" on her show's logo. Or, the O on the cover of her magazine. There's no attempt at creating consistency across her brands. The typeface used on the words beneath can't be found anywhere else either.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Don't like it and I can't put my finger on what exactly.