Pages

“Mad Men” First True Black Character played by Naturi Naughton

Magically the Mad Men cast will be more integrated than ad industry in 2010.
By Tambay @ S&A
Possibly reacting to accusations that the series is intentionally dismissive of a minority presence (specifically African American) in the Mad Men universe, the producers of the critically acclaimed AMC program have added Naturi Naughton to the cast, although there’s no word on what her contributions will be.

“I just finished working on [an episode]. It’s a great show and I’m really excited about just having been a part of it. It’s very cool… it’s 1964 or 1965 now [on the show]. There haven’t been any blacks featured on the show previously because of the times, but now it’s time and here I come… I’m a new character and I can’t really talk about it too much because it’s super hush-hush,” the actress told Vibe magazine.





//
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

7 comments:

HighJive said...

Um, there have been true Black characters in Mad Men: Carla the housekeeper, Hollis the elevator attendant, Betty's childhood nanny, Paul Kinsey's girlfriend, etc.

Craig said...

I think Shadow & Act means a character that perhaps story lines will revolve around and have arcs and depth.
Maybe this one will have a job at the agency?
We do love Carla and Hollis here.

HighJive said...

I'll put money on either Draper's new secretary or a revolutionary-type Peggy meets with her new Bohemian friends.

Craig said...

The door revolves pretty fast around those parts even for the white actors, so it's hard to believe this will be a thing of substance. But my waiting wont involve breath holding.

The Audacity of Color said...

Hmmm really interested to see what this new character will bring. I mean it's staged in the 60s so we can't expect too much in terms of a high exec role. In any regard, it's cool to see them listen to viewers and integrate the cast a bit.

Mad Men Girl said...

Hey!

I've entered a contest to win a walk-on role on that retro-licious TV show, "Mad Men".

If you wouldn't mind taking two seconds to vote for me, I would really appreciate it.

Click on my name above to go to my blog and vote.

Thanks so much!

MadMenGirl

Craig said...

@Mad Men Girl um, ok.