Pages

New Y(MCA) Identity

This one has more than a few designery types up in arm over the redesign of the simple yet iconic YMCA logo. The brand has been living comfortably as just "the Y" many years now. When you take a good look at the older spikey, chunky, red & black version, I see this as very good improvement and a significant modernization. It's childishly friendly while remaining deliberate and slightly corporate. Others have said it's a jumble of rounded corners & common gradient logo-fare of today. What do you think?



cred:
Siegel+Gale 




// https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

6 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

We have been referring the the YMCA as "the Y" since I was in high school...ahem, and that has been sometime now :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love it. Good example of great, strategic rebranding.

Ena said...

I like the rounded corners to add a friendly touch to it while still remaining corporate. What I don't get is why so many colour combos? It doesn't look like they represent a differernt YMCA arm or anything, the same description is under each one. Maybe they should have just picked one scheme and stuck with it.

shaun. said...

well done.

Craig said...

Tonia, true, it will always be the Y for me.

Riv, I'd like to see what you would've done with it.

Ena, great point. I initially thought the colors were for divisions etc. Guess not.

Shaun, I like it too, I think sometimes we waaaay over think things. As if some kid is gonna refuse to play there?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would have loved to take a crack at it if I was on the rebrand team for this project. Not sure if I would have done such a great job.

The end result is a more forward-looking logo that reflects vibrancy and achievement and possibly action (italicized/slant of the "Y"). I'm also thinking that the multiple color combination suggests diversity. However, I'm sure there's a brand portal that goes into detail about what each color represents.