Pages

Nurofen: The Headaches

There are several different types of headaches, all of them are annoying, painful, black and made of tiny little balls of nappy hair. Let's just call the nappy jungle dust bunnies. (Eat your heart out Don Imus) At least that's the way Nurofen portrays them. But the cure, well now that's quite a different story. The cure is shiny, tough, heroic and white! I know this should be excellent rant fodder and I should have bust a major blood vessel and under going sever cerebral hemorrhaging by now. Strangely it doesn't bother me in the least. I think doing this blog has either desensitized me or helped me to see the frivolity of some so called racial metaphors and schema attributed to race. That doesn't mean that I like the constant reference of 'black' as bad and 'white' as good. I still remember how I questioned that too common meme as a child. "Mama, if the bad guy's wearing black and we're called black, does that mean we're bad too?" But I'm over it. But now, calling that headache 'Niggling,' well we gotta talk about that... no, not  really. Although I would advise some against referring to any action done by one of your African American friends as 'niggling'.













Niggling - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...



petty; also : bothersome or persistent especially in a petty or tiresome way < nigglinginjuries>. — niggling noun. — nig·gling·ly \-lē\ adverb
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

scientifico sez:
Bravo for not biting the bait son! Some may not see it the same way but The white, glossy hero is "synonymous" (I spelted it right first shot) with the packaging. What then would be the natural opposite? Not glossy, not white (plus I don't know about "nappy". How about "dusty"? Hey, I liked the spots.

ps- "niggling" is much more of a british word. I don't think it has the same loaded connotations as it does in America (although I'm sure there are other words that could have been used. Meh.