Pages

Fela: The Musical



This is an absolute must see! Jay-Z, Will & Jada Smith presents Fela! I'm told ?uesto of the Roots has a hand in the production of this as well. This is a very visually intriguing promo, I'm sold.



Mookie n 'Nem say...


Now, we know who FELA is. So based on this spot for FELA, we want to love it, embrace it and scream for joy over it, but we didn't. The viewer will have no idea what the show is about. Nor what the story is. Nor have any idea why he or she should see it except for the fact Black folks are getting paid on Broadway. In order to be successful, FELA is going to need a lot more than that going for it. We're just now coming out of a depression. Black folks can't buy all of the tickets!

Now, when we watched the Opening Night trailer, our souls were set on fire. ?uestlove? Jigga? Spike? Harry? Bill T. Jones? To steal from Ed Lover, "C'mon, Son! Get the %#@& outta here if you don't want to see FELA! Even the white lady said, "It's the beginning of the African Renaissance." Say word!

. https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

2 comments:

Fashion_Loving_Stylist said...

I'm so excited about this production. Been hearing about it for a while and now it's here.

Kwesi Amuti said...

Looks visually enticing but in the battle between telling the real story of Fela Anikulapo Kuti and giving a glossy legend of the man and his life it looks like Jada, Will and Jay-Z are going with the glossy...I grew up listening to some of Fela's music when I was in Ghana as a small child...chanting "Zombie oh Zombie" without knowing what it meant until I got older and listened to his catalog of music. It was rife with subject matter such as misogny, sex, violence, remembrance of racial and cultural identity, colonialism's evils...Subjects I'm sure would make the producers themselves very uncomfortable to show their ticket holding audience. I'm curious to know what he would think if he knew this was going on...from stories and interviews I've seen and heard about Fela my guess is he would not have been "happy".

I'll see it but only for the music...from what I heard his real shows were something else...and speaking of music I wonder if his old band members and even his other children know about this? One wonders?