Pages

The Power of Pine-Sol Imagery



It appears Pine-Sol new scent is less than appealing to more than just me.  I don't think it's earth-shattering imagery. I don't think it's going to change a child's self image. But I do think it's not the best advertising. If there is a black person involved I wouldn't be very surprised. There is often a lot of self sacrifice involved in working in advertising for people of color. I think about two minutes of serious self introspection by any slightly aware advertising creative of color and they could begin to figure out this may not be the best line of concepts.

I wouldn't go so far as to use the "R" word here, but the preponderance of this type of imagery creates as-well-as reinforces the racial stereotypes and prejudices that lead to the perpetuation of the dreaded "R" word. The black woman/man so closely tied to these subservient roles is a problem. I understand the attempt to "glamorize" the Pine-Sol lady. But it just seems a poor after thought.

More diversity in advertising now!
That is all.

Pepper seems perturbed.

Someone at the Times seems almost tickled.

Jim @ BNet says that we are all over thinking it.

I've been sniffin' it for a minute. https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

7 comments:

Creative Silence said...

Oh man, I still can't get past the selective coloring used in the photo. gag..

Jennifer said...

It was fun reading all of the perspectives on the Pine-Sol ads, including the actress. (For the record, I get the perfume ad thing, but I'd call it a miss, but then again, I watch a lot of kid's tv these days.)

Anyhow, I'm left feeling open to see how this plays out. I think there are definitely possibilties including Ms. Amos in a realistic relationship and scene who sees her husband/SO (a consistent character) mopping gives him a hug, kiss, or tap on the arm and says "Thanks honey". Maybe he could say "that's the power of Pine Sol", if he thinks he'll get lucky...but would that take away from Ms. Amos' role?

I also loved reading "That Jennifer's brilliant"...SCORE, lol!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Brilliant parody ad.

The thing that continues to kill me involves the reactions from Pine-Sol and its advertising agency. They receive negative comments every time a new ad appears. Yet they insist people are overreacting. At some point, you would think they would open themselves to the possibility that there is something inherently wrong with the work.

Chrissystina said...

I saw this ad nearly a year ago, I think. I remember thinking, "Who is that supposed to be?"

Then I saw that it was the same lady they had been using for years. I don't know, I see her as the Snapple or Progressive lady. Yes, yes, she's Black, so there's HAS to be awareness going on, but really, I see nothing wrong with it.

I see the Pine-Sol people poking fun at advertising in general with this one, not the Black race. (Don't get the panties twisted, I still think all opposing opinions are valid!)

Stan said...

You ain't the only one who has been smelling the bullshit.

Its not a coincidence that you only see full figured Black women in commercials for cleaning products.

Sound familiar?

I'm happy for the actress; this has been a long campaign and I hope she's eating good (no sarcasm) but I can't help but to cringe when this comes on tv.

Craig said...

They are obviously trying to create a new Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben. It's the constant menial job role that exasperates me.

I don't think the cleaning lady is on par with the progressive character who is written to be more charming and sweetly witty.