Pages

Tide: Cold Water (Cool like Dat)



Me says, "If ya gotta use Hip Hop in your spot, this is not a bad way to do it."

Slang Rap Democracy says;

I’m not mad at the above Tide Coldwater commercial which uses the music from one of my personal fav Hip-Hop tracks; Digable Planets’ “Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat).”

The trio of Butterfly, Mecca the Ladybug and Doodlebug get their due nowadays, but I distinctly remember them getting called ATCQ hacks because of their heavy use of Jazz samples. People also got a little flustered when “Rebirth of Slick” won a 1993 Grammy Award for Best Performance by a Duo or Group in the Rap category. All good save for the fact that they beat out fellow nominees including Dr. Dre’s “Nuthin But a G Thang” and Naughty By Nature’s “Hip Hop Hooray.”




Both of Digable’s albums, Reachin’ (A New Refutation of Time and Space) and Blowout Comb are excellent 90’s Hip-Hop gems. Every year or so since their initial break up around ‘95 there’s talk of a reunion (they did tour in ‘05). And to their credit, each member has dropped solo projects, though none has reached the acclaim of their previous group work.


I was gonna post about it but Slang Rap Democracy was all over this joint like a Yezzy sample, so I sat this one out.
https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the attribution.

Craig said...

Dammit Todd! You're winning me over! I think you have a good point. Hmm, let me think about this.

life of brian said...

The most annoying, repetitive crap I don't ever want to hear again. It must get played 7 or 8 times a night. Gonna throw the Tide down the sink in protest.

Anonymous said...

I congratulate, it seems magnificent idea to me is