Pages

Nothing is Original


This is the fifth rule of Jim Jarmusch, an independent film director and I love it (read it).

One way to start a fight with most African American creatives is to "steal" their idea. The fact is nothing is original. This is not an attempt to stifle creativity but to encourage innovation. I once worked at a general market agency where weekly someone would stand over my shoulder, lurking but, not commenting on what I was doing, only to later have their version of my work show up in a creative meeting. It pisses me off just thinking about it. The funny thing is, I wanted nothing more than to be a collaborator in that shop. Instead of this oddity to tip toe around or the occasional idea vending machine. I like the concept of sharing ideas, borrowing knowledge and down-right ripping something off to use in another market, for another product, with my own tweaks to deliver to fresh eyeballs.

Lastly, I don't completely agree with Jim. If I add a soft or hard innovation to something current, it becomes new. Now, if somebody happened to do it before... I'll probably end up starting a fight.



cred:
Jim Jarmusch https://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing worse than having your idea jacked is having it jacked and done wack somewhere else. OH how can we relate. Thanks for this!

Sharing ideas is important, and is true power. Those who just take without building are doomed.

This is, in many ways, a tagger's rule as well. Graf artists put their work out there for the world to see, and it's nice to see your style incorporated into another work.

Leave it to another NYU film kid (Jarmusch) to provide today's (sorta) inspiration!

Wardlaw said...

Man I read a wonderful manifesto about "How To Be Creative". It's a very good read. I think we all should read it. About this post I would quote what was in the manifesto…"Ignore everybody. The more original your idea is, the less good advice other people will be able to give you." As far as your little problem at the general market agency I quote this…"Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted."

DOWNLOAD THIS
This manifesto is available from http://changethis.com/6.HowToBeCreative

Detavio Samuels said...

I saw this and wanted to blog about it a long time ago but couldn't find it. Thanks for bring back for me. Peace.